Did you know that approximately 500 million kg of berries grow in the Finland’s forests every year? Well that’s nothing in comparison to the two billion kg of mushrooms you can find. Thanks to Finland’s “Everyman’s right”, everyone can walk freely through the forests and countryside and pick wild berries, mushrooms and flowers. Take advantage of what the forest has to offer by venturing outdoors to see what you can find. The fun continues once you come back to your cottage and must prepare and preserve your goodies so that you can take home with you at the end of your stay.
Explore the forest
There are over 50 species of berries and 500 kinds of mushrooms you can find in the Finnish forest. Be careful though, not all of them are edible so its important to know what it is that you are picking. Here is a quick look at some of the most common berries and mushrooms you may find in the forests close to your rented cottage.
Some things to bring with you if you are planning on going berry and mushroom picking
- Long pants and shirt
- A brightly coloured hat (important to protect you from bugs and so that you can be easily seen by hunters in the fall)
- A mosquito jacket
- Rubber boots
- A berry picker (a scoop device with prongs on the end)
- A bucket with a lid (or basket for mushrooms)
- A special knife for mushroom pickers that has a brush on one end
- A small book on mushrooms to carry with you
- Some jars or containers for you to take your mushrooms and berries home
var _gaq = _gaq || ; _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-38998350-1']); _gaq.push(['_setDomainName', 'visitvestlax.com']); _gaq.push(['_trackPageview']);